About the AuthorWrites fantasy and science fiction. I have tried a few of his Recluse novels and have found them very readable and
likeable. The L stands for Leland, and the E stands for Exton. It is not a great surprise that he publishes with his initials, as Leland Exton Modesitt Jr. is quite a mouthful.
- The Magic of Recluse- The first novel in the series. Written from the first person
perspective, which was novel in itself. The main character is Lerris, a young man
exiled from Recluse to learn about himself. It introduces a fascinating detailed magical world
where the forces of Order and Chaos clash.
- The Towers of the Sunset- The second book in the series is a prequel to the first, and is the story of the the founding of
Recluse, by the Creslin the powerful weather-magician. I found that it was not a well structured as the first novel, with typo
errors, and printing errors that let this novel down. It was too much of just an
account of Recluse creation rather than a good story.
- The Magic Engineer- Set between the first two novels, it picks up the pace of the series, with a well put together story about
a young man called Dorrin, exiled from Recluse because of his love of
machines. He must face the Chaos forces of Fairhaven and learn how to protect all he comes to love.
- The Order War
- The Death of Chaos- Sequel to _The Magic of Recluse_, it continues the story of Lerris. I doubt
whether there will be any more sequels to this novel.
- The Fall of Angels- Prequel story of the "Angels" fall from power.
- The Color of Chaos
- The Sophrano Sorceress- New fantasy series, not set in the Recluse world, about a Sorceress who
performs magic by singing. I have not tried this new series and do not know what it is like.
- The Spellsong War
- The Ecologic Envoy - (287 pages, ISDB 0-812-54584-2, Tor) - Four hundred years after winning Secession from the Terran Empire, the star system Accord wants to sign a simple treaty on microchip export tariffs. But if the agreement is so minor, why is Professor Nathaniel Whaler - top economist at the Ecolitan Institute, and his world's top commando killer - chosen Accord's Envoy?
Short and weak novel.
Go back to the authors archive, Updated Authors list
Paul Farris 1996